On our own

On the flybridge of Roam after a successful first outing!

Today we took Roam out for our maiden voyage! Grabbing a couple of sandwiches from the marina cafeteria, we headed south toward West Palm Beach for a quick shakedown cruise. From the flybridge, we ate our sandwiches and had a liesurely trip down the ICW.

On the flybridge of Roam after a successful first outing!
On the flybridge of Roam after a successful first outing!

We wanted to run the generator for the day to make sure it performed properly and about 45 minutes in, Michelle reported that the Genny had shut down. Leaving Michelle at the helm (she did great!), I went down to the engine room to see if I could figure out the problem. I couldn’t find any problem (plenty of oil, no overheating, belts in place), so I restarted the generator and we moved down to the pilot house so I could monitor the gauges more carefully. I’m not sure what caused the Genny to shut down the first time, but she worked flawlessly for the rest of the day.

We turned around just south of the Ribovich yard where the smallest boat is probably 2-3 times the size of our new “Yacht.” If you want to feel small, inadequate, or inconsequential, spend some time in and around Palm Beach/Fort Lauderdale!

First Grounding!!

I thought I’d pull out in to Lake Worth to anchor and play around with the dinghy. This is when I learned a very important and new lesson about cruising on a 65,000+ plus vessel with 6 feet of draft — you MUST pay close attention to the charts and stay out of shallow waters! That’s right, we went aground within an hour of our first cruise aboard Roam. (Get used to the bottom, old girl, with Clark navigating, you’re going to see a lot of that!!!) The good news is that I had slowed to a crawl and so our grounding was really more of a scrapping along the mud bottom and we were able to back away and get back in the channel with little effort.

After a more careful review of the charts, we decided it would probably be easier to just go back up the the area just outside our Marina to anchor in 15+ feet of water. Once anchored, we practiced getting the dinghy in/out of the water. When we launched the dinghy during the survey last month, we put her in from the starboard side and that’s how I did it this time as well. I wanted to see if I could launch from the stern, but before we could do any serious experimenting, a squall began to threaten, so we’ll leave that experimenting for another day.

We ended our first cruise with a PERFECT, stern in docking. That’s two in a row – I’m starting to get cocky!

Related Post

One Reply to “On our own”

  1. Welcome to the ‘Dark Side’ Clark & Michelle,

    Good to hear the shakedown was a success & docking is becoming your nature…. as Dad always said, “You can’t practice docking enough, because it’s the only time EVERYBODY is watching & remember to be a humble docker not a cocky docker.”

    Sorry Rybovich added perspective to your day cruise, but look at it as waterfront scenery !! Plus, the bigger the boat = bigger issues … etc.

    We love to see you guys embracing this chapter of your life & are excited for you as well !!

    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Explore! Dream! Discover!”
    » Mark Twain

    Love ya both,
    FL Haleys

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.